Associate Dean for Entrepreneurship in the Pratt School of Engineering
Professor Gall’s research aims to develop a fundamental understanding of the relationship between the processing, structure, and mechanical properties of materials. His scientific contributions range from the creation and understanding of shape memory metals and polymers to the discovery of a new phase transformation in metal nanowires. His current research interests are 3D printed metals and polymers, soft synthetic biomaterials, and biopolymers with structured surface porous networks.
In addition to his research he has consulted for industry, the US Military and the US Intelligence Community, and served as an expert witness in multiple patent and product litigations. Finally, he is a passionate entrepreneur who uses fundamental scientific knowledge to hasten the commercialization of new materials and improve the effectiveness of existing materials. He founded two medical device start-up companies, MedShape and Vertera who have commercialized university based technologies in the orthopedic medical device space.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate Director in the Pratt School of Engineering, MEDx Inititative
- Associate Dean for Entrepreneurship in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5430
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1998
- M.S. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1996
- B.S. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1995
Materials science, mechanical properties, metals and polymers. Specialties: Shape memory materials, biomaterials, 3D printing.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- ASEE Curtis McGraw Award. ASEE. 2012
- TMS Robert Lansing Hardy Award. The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society. 2008
- ASM Bradley Stoughton Award. ASM International. 2005
- ASME Gold Medal. ASME. 2004
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineering (PECASE). Department of Energy - NNSA. 2002
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- EGRMGMT 590: Advanced Topics in Engineering Management
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 421L: Mechanical Design
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
In the News
- From the Lab, the First Cartilage-Mimicking Gel That’s Strong Enough for Knees (Jun 26, 2020)
- Duke Creates Open-Source Protective Respirator (Apr 13, 2020)
- Solving Pressing Challenges: 3D Printing of Medical Grade Face Shields (Apr 2, 2020)
- Duke-Georgia Tech Spinal Implant Start-UP Acquired by NuVasive (Sep 19, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Students, Doctors Develop Next-Generation Surgical Implants (May 1, 2017)
- Ken Gall Named Chair of Duke’s MEMS Department (Apr 24, 2015 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Kirillova, A; Nillissen, O; Liu, S; Kelly, C; Gall, K, Reinforcement and Fatigue of a Bioinspired Mineral-Organic Bioresorbable Bone Adhesive., Advanced Healthcare Materials (2020) [10.1002/adhm.202001058] [abs].
- Pham, A; Kelly, C; Gall, K, Free boundary effects and representative volume elements in 3D printed Ti-6Al-4V gyroid structures, Journal of Materials Research, vol 35 no. 19 (2020), pp. 2547-2555 [10.1557/jmr.2020.105] [abs].
- Allen, B; Moore, C; Seyler, T; Gall, K, Modulating antibiotic release from reservoirs in 3D-printed orthopedic devices to treat periprosthetic joint infection., J Orthop Res, vol 38 no. 10 (2020), pp. 2239-2249 [10.1002/jor.24640] [abs].
- Zhao, J; Kirillova, A; Kelly, CN; Xu, H; Koshut, WJ; Yang, F; Gall, K; Wiley, BJ, High-Strength Hydrogel Attachment through Nanofibrous Reinforcement., Advanced Healthcare Materials (2020) [10.1002/adhm.202001119] [abs].
- Yang, F; Zhao, J; Koshut, WJ; Watt, J; Riboh, JC; Gall, K; Wiley, BJ, A Synthetic Hydrogel Composite with the Mechanical Behavior and Durability of Cartilage, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 30 no. 36 (2020) [10.1002/adfm.202003451] [abs].